Men’s Soccer Edged out by Wilkes

McDaniel players crowd the box as they look to capitalize late against Wilkes in their 1-2 loss.

The Green Terror were handed their fourth loss in a row on Tuesday afternoon in a non-conference game against Wilkes University. The Colonels scored twice in the second half to overcome a one-goal halftime deficit to beat McDaniel 2-1.

The lone goal for the Green Terror (2-7-2, 0-4) came in the final minute of the first half from Kerry Shutt. The junior defender netted the unassisted goal after firing a shot off the Wilkes (3-8, 0-1) goalkeeper, following the rebound to the goal.

The goal was Shutt’s third of the season, tying Storm Robinson for the most goals by a single player this season.

The Green Terror looked in control coming off the first half but the rest proved more helpful to the Colonels who came out firing just three minutes into the second half.

In the 48th minute, Eddie Metzger launched a long shot toward the McDaniel goal that was misplayed and found the back of the net.

Just seven minutes later, Metzger came up big for Wilkes once again, firing a pass from Tyler Kukosky past McDaniel goalie Nick Over to take the lead for good.

The goal was the 19th scored against the Green Terror this season, compared to their nine scored this season, part of the team’s winless month, having not won since 1-0 outcome against Baruch on Sept. 6.

While McDaniel did outshoot Wilkes 12-7 and have a 5-0 lead in corner kicks, it was the Green Terror’s inability to finish their runs that cost them in the end.

McDaniel head coach Steve Corrieri said that his players “looked down the sides pretty well, [but] just didn’t get the final ball into the box.” He specifically mentioned one instance where a shot bounced off the inside of the post but the Wilkes keeper was able to save it.

When asked about the aggressiveness of Wilkes, Corrieri said, “They’re just obviously more experienced than us right now and we were naïve at times.”

Corrieri also spoke to the fact that they “can’t afford to get behind in games because it’s just too much of a struggle for us to get back into it.”

In the two games the Green Terror have won, both the scores were 1-0.

The men’s squad will play their next game on the road against No. 1 Franklin and Marshall (10-0, 3-0) this Saturday at 3 p.m. Their penultimate home game will take place on Sept. 17 against Swarthmore (4-6-1, 1-2-1) at 4 p.m.