Men’s Soccer Ties Penn State- Harrisburg in Double Overtime

The Green Terror look to capitalize on a corner kick against Penn St.-Harrisburg on Tuesday afternoon.

Looking to bounce back from a disappointing conference loss to Muhlenberg just three days prior, the men’s soccer team squared off against the Penn St.-Harrisburg Lions on Tuesday afternoon.

The game would end in a cold tie between the two squads after two overtime periods.

Scoring started in the ninth minute with a Penn St.-Harrisburg (2-2-3) goal from Seth Reynolds, his first of the season. The Green Terror (2-3-3) successfully held off the Lions for the remainder of the half while scoring an equalizer in the 34th minute.

The goal came from J.P. O’Connor in the form of a penalty kick, the senior’s first of the season.

Things calmed down for the final 11 minutes of the first, and the game remained tied until McDaniel freshman Carlos Valdez Martin came through with the go-ahead shot for his second goal of the season in as many games, having scored the teams’ lone goal last Saturday in their loss against Muhlenberg.

The Green Terror looked to be in the clear for their first win since Sept. 6 until Penn St.-Harrisburg’s Matthew Vaz got the assist from teammate Victor Weaver, firing the tying goal past goalie Nick Over into the corner of the Green Terror net.

The game would remain tied at 2-2 as the two teams played 20 minutes of overtime to no prevail.

McDaniel’s Bertrand Chepngang had numerous opportunities to score, missing two shots wide and being unable to convert multiple times at the end of various impressive runs that split the Lions defense. One of the runs ended with a pass to the middle to Carlos Valdez Martin who was unable to find the open net.

Penn St.-Harrisburg outshot the Green Terror 14-7, yet McDaniel had more corner kicks (6-4). Over came up with four key saves for McDaniel, three in the second half and one in the second overtime period.

The Green Terror (0-1 in conference) will play their next game at Haverford (3-3, 1-0) on Saturday, Sept. 26, their second Centennial Conference game. Their next home game will be on Sept. 30 against Dickinson (4-2, 1-0) in another conference matchup.